We are hiring a General Manager
Position: General Manager
Reports to: Chair – Human Resources Committee
Position Type: 6 Month Term with potential to continue, minimum 16 hours/week
The General Manager is the face of the Lord Robert Community Centre. Reporting to the Board of Directors (the Board), the General Manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations, staffing, maintenance, events, and programming at the Centre. The General Manager takes a leading role in developing and launching new events and programs, and engaging with the Lord Roberts neighbourhood with a goal of ensuring the centre is used to its full potential.
This position is being offered initially as a 6 month term at a minimum 16 hours per week with the opportunity to expand these hours over time and to establish this as a permanent position contingent on the successful candidates’ progress in helping the Board to sustain it. Correspondingly, the successful candidate will be expected to initially focus a majority of their time leading a drive to increase the number and diversity of event bookings and program offerings, developing and launching a sponsorship campaign, preparing grant applications, modernizing the centres online booking and registration systems, and reconnecting with the community following two years of Covid-19 restrictions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ascertains daily work to be done, staff or volunteers required to do it, and the priority of work, and schedules it accordingly.
- Hires and manages staff as directed by the Board, including day-to-day supervision, scheduling, performance management, and conducting training and safety programs.
- Develops policies and procedures for Board adoption and then implements them.
- Manages the canteen in coordination with the Canteen Chair.
- Liaises with the City of Winnipeg and GCWCC on behalf of the board.
- Responds to and directs enquiries and ensures content on the Centre website is up to date.
- Takes a leading role in seeking out, applying for, administering, and closing out grant opportunities with the support of the Board of Directors
- In conjunction with the Finance Committee, supports the preparation and administration of the annual budget for the Centre; approves payroll, ensures that fiscal policies and procedures are adhered to, and provides support to the Treasurer as directed.
Programming and Rentals
- Administers a comprehensive set of recreation, leisure and sports programs to meet the needs of the community, and provides leadership in the development of new programs.
- Administers registration and maintains the registration payment system for various Centre programs and sports.
- Maintains online calendar and administers rental bookings, including fostering relationships with long- term program renters.
- Liaises with various rental groups to ensure the center is booked as much as possible, thus creating stable revenue streams for the community centre.
- Negotiates contracts with sports associations, leagues, teams, community groups, and social service organizations for rental of the site in order to secure steady revenue streams for the community centre. Secures rentals by the public for events such as parties, socials, meetings, workshops, etc, to secure steady revenue streams for the community centre.
- Liaises with the staff of surrounding community centres to coordinate and create complementary programming and events, with the goal of optimizing the use and profitability of the LRCC.
Fiscal Responsibility and Growth
- The general manager is responsible for ensuring the operations of the Centre generates sufficient revenue to operate and expand.
- Negotiates and administers service contracts as approved by the Board. ∙ Procures supplies required for Centre operations.
- Ensures all building and grounds are safe and well-maintained.
- Conducts light maintenance and janitorial duties as required and oversees daily and preventative maintenance and general caretaking performed by Centre employees, volunteers or outside contractors.
- Acts as a liaison between the Board and Centre users, including working closely and collaboratively as a resource to all members of the Board and committees.
- Attends and presents a report at all Board meetings.
Other duties may be assigned by the Board for this position.
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills, and good written communication skills. Able to represent LRCC effectively and professionally at all times.
- Experience in a management role, preferably in a community centre or customer service environment.
- Experience managing and/or supervising staff.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, or similar platforms.
- Knowledge of platforms similar to Google Platforms (i.e. Drive, Calendar, Meets, etc).
- Knowledge of the day-to-day operations and administration of a community center, or similar organization.
- Experience applying for and administering grants.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an ability to work under pressure.
- An ability to motivate and coach staff to provide excellent customer service.
- Experience with developing communication materials (e.g. newsletter).
- Experience with various social media platforms (e.g. Facebook)
- Self-directed and able to work independently with minimal supervision. Results-oriented and motivated to achieve excellent customer service.
- Knowledge of Ibex Payroll and experience doing bookkeeping and payroll.
Please note that the successful candidate must maintain a valid Class 5 Manitoba driver’s licence and have access to a personal vehicle. Satisfactory criminal record check with a vulnerable sector search and child abuse registry check will be required for the successful candidate. Cover letter and resume should be emailed to email@example.com.